Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Member: Byron Becker

I have been interested in photography for a long time. During the late 1970s I took classes at the Milwaukee Center for Photography and participated in workshops with various photographers. I have done part time commercial work and have been published several times, but my real progress in photography grew after I retired. I now indulge myself in a way that took me decades to realize. Life is enhanced when I give myself personal gratification, being self centered can be okay! With photography I feed my creative desires and photographing nature is a balm to my spiritual self.
My camera catches a moment of reality and I manipulate that moment until it becomes my vision; the resulting photograph is a reality of its own. How I compose the scene, what I emphasize through using photographic techniques and materials, enhances the aspects that drew me to the original scene. When I present this finished product, I relinquish control to the viewers. To share my emotions, feelings and view point is an important part of the trip along the path of personal growth. Photography has be come my vehicle.
I am showing ten prints from a series of photographs that I have taken at the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. The “Porkies” are a special place for me, a place that I have visited many times during the last twenty five years and yet never tire of. Many of the photographs shown here where taken off trail, at places and of sights that the majority of people do not see; places of quiet beauty that I would like to share.

I don't have a bio, writing one, writing about myself is a real problem for me, I could use help in this area. Early on, when I sent you one of my photographs I included some personal information, it was as follows:

Milwaukee born 1/25/39 - Humboldt Park grade school - Bay View High School - UW-M, MATC and The Milwaukee Center for Photography - no degree from either of the last three schools.

I call myself a car guy - started as a dealer mechanic - opened my own garage which eventually became a repair facility with an engine building machine shop that specialized in drag race engines - professional drag racer for seventeen years.

When I sold my business I worked as a journey man machinist in several different venues - retired from the city of Milwaukee in 2001.

All through my schooling a dabbled with the arts, eventually turning to photography in the seventies. I've studied at the Milwaukee Center for Photography (now part of MIAD), done work shops and seminars with Arthur Lazar - I consider Arthur my mentor.

When I first started photographing my subjects leaned towards industrial scenes, rail roads, architecture, interiors and antique furniture. Now I do mostly landscapes in black and white. I use a 4x5 camera for most of my work, shoot Tri-X film that I develop in Pyronal and print in a wet dark room. Some times I scan negatives and print them with an Epson Printer that has been converted to the K7 process.

After I retired I was able to approach photography in a systematic fashion and the results have been gratifying. In November I will spend a week at a John Sexton Expressive Print Workshop.

Byron Becker

No comments: