Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Member: Thom R. Feroah

I am passionate about art, so wherever I go, I visit museums and art galleries and immerse myself in form, color, light and texture. Since I was a child, I have always had a special love and interest in photography. So it was natural a few years ago that when I returned to photography, I returned with a passion.
Except for some training as a television cameraman in the early 70’s, I am self taught, reading extensively, discussing the technical and aesthetic aspects with other photographers, and making a lot of ‘clicks’. During this return, I discovered the internal, personal process of photography and the theory of ‘Equivalence’ by Alfred Stieglitz and Minor White. I began “letting go of the camera” and exploring the world around me no matter where I was.
The Chinese saying “Heaven breathes from within” signifies the source of my passion to explore nature, architecture, and humanity through photography in various locations in the world—a world that I never imagined as a child. This in turn has stimulated me to use photography as a means of personal involvement and development, and a way to engage others. A special interest of mine is the potential impact of photography on the promotion of healing—in the viewer and in the creator of an image.
If when you view these pictures, you find yourself drawn in repeatedly, warmed and moved, then I believe you have felt this potential that art has to uplift a human and humanity.
I work now exclusively in digital photography using a Canon 20D camera with a variety of lenses that allow me mobility.

Thom R. Feroah


Thom R. Feroah, Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pulmonary/Critical Care, Medical College of Wisconsin and the Director the Circadian Rodent Sleep Laboratory and the Director of Research for the Sleep Laboratory at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, where he specializes in sleep and breathing disorders. Dr. Feroah is directly involved in a number of sleep labs and clinics worldwide and is a featured speaker at conferences and seminars. This work allows him to travel regularly and photograph the people and places that touch his heart and inspire his creative vision.

No comments: